We ordinarily rely on water treatment plants for getting our dirty water cleaned, then relayed back to our homes.
The processes used there are not always enough to make the water ready for use right out of the tap. It is hence important to find quick and efficient ways of making the water safe enough for drinking and usage.
Filtration is one such method, and the use of ceramic filters has become quite popular in recent times as a fast and hassle-free ordeal.
If you have made the decision to use this efficient method, it is important to know the best ceramic water filter kit available for your particular needs.
In this article, we’ll help you with that. Let’s get started!
What to Look for Before Buying
In order to know which product to buy, there are a few factors to consider.
Components of Water
Water does not contain the same minerals and pathogens in all areas. If it is possible, find out or get your water tested to know what harmful substances are present.
Since different products filter out different substances, it is important to know which ones you particularly need to be filtered out.
Getting a filter means you will regularly need to get certain parts, like the cartridge, changed. This makes these units long-term investments. Both the initial and the maintenance costs must be calculated and kept in mind before deciding on which product to buy.
Rate of Filtration
It is important to know the rate at which your product will filter water so that you can get a suitable one for your purpose. For example, using your filter only for drinking water will require a relatively lower filtration rate than using it for showering and cleaning purposes, as well.
Always look for certification before buying a filter. It is a good idea to read lots of reviews and customer feedback to get an understanding of how well the product works.
Editor’s Recommendation: Top 3 Best Ceramic Water Filter Kits
Top 3 Best Ceramic Water Filter Kits
Even after understanding your particular requirements, the many different products available in the market will certainly be a cause for confusion.
We have made a list of the three ceramic filters we find are at the top of their game in order to make it an easier choice.
1. Doulton W9121200 7” Super Sterasyl Ceramic Filter Candle
This kit comes with a gravity filter with an outer ceramic shell and an inner activated carbon core. Activated carbon works by absorbing the substances which need removal onto its surface. The carbon thus enables the entrapment of disease-causing organisms and sediment, and also makes the water taste better and softens it.
And the great advantage of this product is that it is self-sterilizing, and can be cleaned regularly. This thing is quite long-lasting and will give good service for several years with ease. The carbon core does not allow metals to be filtered off adequately, which is something to keep in mind if the water in your area contains a lot of heavy metals.
And the kit should also be used on pre-sterilized water for best results, as the carbon cannot get rid of all impurities. As an inexpensive and durable product, this is a great option to consider.
• Reasonably priced and affordable
• Self-sterilizing and cleanable
• Provides good taste to water
• Does not filter off metals sufficiently
• Water needs to be pre-sterilized before filtration
2. Internet Prepper Ceramic Water Filter Kit
The heart of any filter is its ability to separate the harmful substances from the water. This kit contains a ceramic gravity filter with 0.2-micron pores, which means that it can stop most substances bigger than that. It stops most microbes causing water-borne illnesses like E. coli, Salmonella, Shigella, Cryptosporidium, and Giardia.
Heavy metals that may cause adverse health effects, such as arsenic, aluminum, iron, lead, and harmful substances like hydrogen sulfide, chlorine, chloramines, phenols, herbicides, pesticides, and rodenticides are also removed.
Additionally, the ceramic core also gets rid of a lot of the taste and odors that may be present in the water. This allows the filter to turn even muddy water into a crystal clear one. It is also easy to install and can store water for years on end.
And the filtration rate is also high, enabling a lot of water to be cleaned per day, about 14 gallons, enough for bathing, washing, and drinking. The kit does not come with buckets or containers, which must be included by the users, and the filter may also be a bit rustic-looking. Overall, it is a great product for the price.
• Very inexpensive
• Great filtering ability
• Stores water for a long time
• Easy to install
• High filtration rate
• Removes taste and odor from water
• Does not come with buckets or containers
• Aesthetically may not be very pleasing
3. Doulton W9381105 Rio 2000 Ceramic Multi-Candle Filter Cartridge
This kit comes with a filter that can stop substances up to 0.5 microns wide from remaining in the water, stopping the major disease-causing elements like microbes, cysts, metals, and dirt.
It uses 6 separate filter candles in order to speed up the flow rate to 400 gallons per day by increasing the surface area for cleaning the water. This makes it a filtration system for the whole house. The filter also contains silver particles, which stops bacteria from growing and multiplying.
And the kit comes with sufficient tools for cleaning and uninstalling the filter as required. As the parts can be easily cleaned instead of needing replacement, this kit is a great hit amongst users. It is a relatively cheap product.
There may be some issues with the pipes leaking, and even though the flow rate is high, the water pressure may not be sufficient for some. The great price and convenience of use, due to the kit being a complete one as it contains all the required tools, makes this a great choice.
• High filtration rate
• Relatively inexpensive
• Contains tools for cleaning and opening
• Parts can be cleaned instead of replaced
• The ceramic core contains silver which is bacteriostatic
• Pipes may leak
• Water pressure may not be too high
How to Install A Ceramic Water Filter Kit?
Here, you will learn how to install different types of ceramic water filter kits properly in the easiest possible ways.
Gravity filters require at least 2 buckets or containers for installation.
1. Stack the buckets one on top of the other, with the lid of the bottom bucket on.
2. Drill a hole through the bottom of the top bucket and the lid of the bottom one. The hole should be of a suitable size to fit the filter.
3. Next, put the sock over the filter and fit it in the bottom of the top bucket.
4. Now make a hole on the side and near the bottom of the bottom bucket with a drill, and install the spigot there.
1. First, you need to turn off the water supply and drain as much water as possible.
2. Next, you need to use a pipe cutter to cut off the pipe of the selected location in which you want to place your filter.
3. Install the filter onto the pipe, as per the instructions of the manual.
1. Start by turning off the water supply of your sink.
2. Remove the tubing from the valve.
3. Place your filter under the sink and mark the location.
4. Connect the filter using tubing or supply lines and follow the manuals for properly fitting your filter.
5. Next, hang the filter and connect the tubings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here we have some of the most commonly asked queries regarding ceramic filters:
1. Are ceramic water filters good?
These filters are great for getting rid of bacteria, protozoa, and harmful metals, things that commonly cause diarrhea and other illnesses, thus serving the purpose of using water filters.
2. What water filters remove pharmaceuticals?
Filters that use a technology called ‘reverse osmosis’ are known to remove all pharmaceuticals, commonly present in carbon and sediment filters.
These work by forcing the water through a semi-permeable membrane, thus filtering out the contaminants from the water.
3. Do ceramic filters remove bacteria?
Ceramic filters are very effective at removing bacteria, according to the size of their pores. The smaller the pores, the more bacteria removed. Some filters also contain silver, which helps stop bacterial growth as well.
The average human cannot go for more than one week without water. This shows how important it is for our fragile lives.
In order to maintain health, we need to keep our water free of toxicities and disease-causing organisms.
Let’s make health a priority by efficiently keeping our water clean and safe by using the best ceramic water filter kit!